Persons seeking appointment to a board appointed by the Selectmen shall complete an application form [attached] and file it with the Office of the Board of Selectmen/Town Administrator. [12/14/09 clarification: The requirement for a completed application shall not apply to appointees who are representing town boards and departments as their designees.]
Once the decision is made to appoint a member to a Town board, the Appointing Authority shall be responsible to:
1. File a completed "Notice of Appointment" form [attached] with the Town Clerk for each appointment made to a Town board.
2. Notify the appointee of his/her appointment, either in writing, in person, by telephone, or by e-mail; and to inform him/her of the need first to be sworn to the faithful performance of their duties within thirty (30) days of appointment, before he/she may sit as a member or alternate member of a Town board.
If an Appointee accepts the offer to participate on a Town board, the appointee must:
1. Appear at the office of the Town Clerk as soon as practicable after receiving notification of appointment to a Town board; sign the “Notice of Appointment” accepting such appointment; and be sworn to the faithful performance of his/her duties.
2. Accept the appointment within thirty (30) days of the date the appointment was made or forfeit the appointment and have the appointing authority consider the appointment to be vacant as of that time.
3. Continue to serve until his/her successor is chosen and qualified by the Appointing Authority.
4. Notify the Town board’s chairman and the Town Administrator, and file a written letter of resignation to the Town Clerk pursuant to MGL C.41,§109 in the event the Appointee is no longer able to serve during any appoint during their term of office.
The Town Clerk shall:
1. Maintain a file of all notices of appointment as a public record available for inspection.
2. Maintain, publish, and periodically update a roster of the membership of all Town boards, including the following information for each board member: (a) name; (b) voting address; (c) mailing address, if different; (d) home telephone number; and (e) date of term expiration.
3. Notify the appointing authority in writing if the appointee has not been sworn to his/her official duties by thirty (30) days following the filing of the Notice of Appointment.
4. Notify the appointing authority in writing in the event the employee submits a written resignation.
5. Notify the appointing authority in writing of the scheduled expiration of any term of office for a Town board position to be filled by such appointing authority, such notice to be given at least thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date of such term's expiration.