TA Blog: 2017-07-24 BOS
||Below is the TA's summary of what transpired at the Board of Selectmen's meeting of July 24, 2017. Questions or comments? Contact the Town Administrator. Official meeting minutes will be posted when approved by the Board. Read the meeting packet.
July 24, 2017 Board of Selectmen Meeting Summary
1. Organization / Pledge of Allegiance / Read Mail
- Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners announced library construction grant awards for nine communities totaling $67-million. Littleton library building project wait listed at #5.
2. Master Plan Implementation Committee: work plan, funding request - MPIC made a presentation on its proposed work plan and forthcoming funding requests. Initial projects include Littleton Common (Sewer and Other) #1, 8; Zoning Assessment and Diagnostics #2,8,9,10; Transportation #44, 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 15, 21, 34; Housing: Targeted Development # 11, 16, 39, 40, 41, 48; Space Needs at Town Office Bldg #60, 35; Historical Survey #58, 56, 53; include master plan project costs into yearly budgeting process #59. [References to Implementation Program Details p. 175 in the Master Plan];
3. Public Input / Members’ Updates - update on Opioid prevention planning efforts underway by Police, Fire.
4. Selectmen’s FY 2018 Goal Updates - See list of adopted goals. Discussion will continue at future board meeting.
5A. Finance: FY 2019 Budget Calendar - The Board of Selectmen voted to adopt the FY 2019 budget calendar as recommended by the Finance Committee and Department of Finance & Budget including: (1) joint meetings of the Finance Committee, Board of Selectmen & School Committee on Tuesday, August 15, 2017; Monday, September 25, 2017; Tuesday, October 24, 2017; Monday January 22, 2018; and Tuesday March 6, 2018; (2) FY 2019 operating and capital budget requests due to Finance on October 31, 2017; and (3) review of budget requests with Selectmen and Finance Committee on Saturday December 16, 2017.
5B1. Highway: Schedule annual hearing on transfer station fees - The Board of Selectmen voted, pursuant to Town Code Chapter 181, to schedule a public hearing for Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8 PM on the fee structure and regulations for use of the Town of Littleton Transfer Station effective October 1, 2017, with no increase to the annual sticker fees (currently $110 for regular and $35 for seniors) or bag costs (currently $2.25 for 33 gallon bags, $1.25 for 15 gallon bags, and .75 cents for 8.5 gallon bags); and, further, to invite input from the general public, the Board of Health, and Highway Department.
5B2. State Road Salt Contract for 2017-2018 - The Board of Selectmen voted to authorize execution of a Memorandum of Understanding to purchase off of the VEH95 state Road Salt contract for 2017-2018, at $64.49 per ton for MassDOT Area 3A.
5C. Building Commissioner: Staffing / Succession Plan - The Board of Selectmen voted, in accordance with the succession plan for the Building / Inspections Department approved on March 9, 2015, to support Zoning Assistant / Permit Technician / Business Administrator Michelle Cobleigh’s application to the Massachusetts Building Official Certification Committee for examination as a Local Inspector, and her conditional appointment as Local Inspector by the Building Commissioner with approval of the Town Administrator upon her successful completion of said examination.
5D1. Acquisition of 31 Boxborough Road – Joyce Williams property: Confirmation of Acceptance of Agreement as to Eminent Domain Taking - 35.11 AC for $1,273,758 - The Board of Selectmen voted as follows relative to the property at 31 Boxborough Road comprising 35.11 acres, more or less, plus trail and signage easements described in Article 21 of the May 1, 2017 Annual Town Meeting:
(1) to take said land by eminent domain under the authority of MGL Chapter 79, with an accompanying award to the owners, Joyce W. Williams, of $1,273,758. The accompanying Order of Taking and Acceptance of Agreement as to Eminent Domain Taking will be recorded by Town Counsel, and a Notice of Taking will be delivered to the owners within thirty (30) days as required by MGL c.79,§3. Execution of said Order of Taking, Acceptance of Agreement as to Eminent Domain Taking and Notice of Taking shall be subject to Town Counsel’s final review of title documents; and
(2) to determine, in accordance with MGL c.30B,§16(e)(2), that advertising the purchase of said property will not benefit the Town's interest because of the unique qualities and location of the property, specifically, that the location of the property abuts the Town’s 98-acre Newtown Hill Conservation Land and is directly across Boxborough Road from 5.11 acres acquired by the Town from MassDOT for parking purposes; and to direct Town Counsel to publish notice in writing of this determination in the Central Register as required by MGL c.30B, §16(e)(2).
5D2. Acquisition of 31 Boxborough Road - Bond Anticipation Note: $300,000 - The Board of Selectmen voted to authorize the sale of a $300,000 Bond Anticipation Note of the Town towards acquisition of land at 31 Boxborough Road as authorized by May 1, 2017 Town Meeting Article 21, said Note dated July 28, 2017 and payable March 29, 2018 to Easthampton Savings Bank at par and a net interest cost of 1.30%.
6A. Project Updates – The Board heard updates on the Fire Station expansion and Alumni Field renovations projects from OPM Vertex. Written reports were received on High School athletic field repairs; Nagog Hill Road reconstruction; Complete Streets / Russell Street sidewalk; Town buildings and space needs analysis; and comprehensive needs assessment for recreation fields.
7. Public Hearings: Chip Shots Pub, 245 Ayer Road: Maruti, Patel & Dave, Inc. d/b/a Chip Shots Pub, Nikita H. Patel, proposed License Manager: The Board conducted three hearings:
7A. Transfer All Alcohol Restaurant license from Chip Shots Pub, Inc., David L. Horn, Manager - The Board of Selectmen voted to approve the application under MGL Chapter 138 Section 12 for the transfer of an All Alcohol Restaurant license for premises at 245 Ayer Road, Littleton, MA from Chip Shots Pub, Inc., David L. Horn, Manager, to Maruti, Patel & Dave, Inc. d/b/a Chip Shots Pub, Nikita H. Patel, proposed License Manager.
7B. Common Victualler license - The Board of Selectmen voted, pursuant to MGL C.140,§6, to approve the application of Nikita H. Patel, proposed License Manager, Maruti, Patel & Dave, Inc. d/b/a Chip Shots Pub, for a common victualler license for premises at 245 Ayer Road, Littleton, MA, with hours of operation of Monday through Sunday from 11:30 AM to 1 AM.
7C. Entertainment license - The Board of Selectmen voted, pursuant to MGL C.140,§181, to approve the application of Maruti, Patel & Dave, Inc. d/b/a Chip Shots Pub, Nikita H. Patel, proposed License Manager, for an annual entertainment license expiring December 31, 2017, for five (5) automatic amusement devices, and to allow live and recorded music performances with amplification Friday through Sunday from 9 PM to Midnight; for the property located at 245 Ayer Road, Littleton, MA.
8. Minutes Approval - The Board of Selectmen voted to approve the meeting minutes of July 10, 2017.
9. Executive Session: Collective Bargaining / Non-Union Contract Strategy - The Board of Selectmen voted, pursuant to MGL C.30A,§21(a), clause (3), to go into executive session to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining with the Town’s unions, since an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the bargaining position of the Board; and not to convene in open session thereafter [Roll call vote: 3-0]