Firearms Licensing Procedures
Applications are available at the 9-1-1 Dispatch Center located inside the Littleton Police Headquarters or by clicking the link to the right.
|Classes of License
|Class A or B License to Carry
$100.00 - License is good for six years
|Class C Firearms Identification Card
||$100.00 - License is good for six years
|Class D Firearms Identification Card
||$25.00 - License is good for six years. Renewal fees are no charge for this license.
|Class E, Dealer’s licenses, or Non-Resident Licenses
||Please contact the department for further information prior to applying
Completed applications may be dropped off at the Littleton Police Department anytime of day along with a check made out to “Town of Littleton” for the applicable fee. Please note:
***ALL APPLICATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE***
** ATTENTION NEW APPLICANTS AND LICENSE UPGRADES **
The following must also be attached to your application in order for it to be processed:
1) Firearms Safety Course Certificate – Courses can be found by calling a local outdoor store or by looking through the Approved Basic Firearms Safety Course List found on the Mass.gov website. (see link above)
2) Three written references (needed only if applying for LTC Class A or B) – References must state that the applicant is of sound mind and character and is believed to be responsible for the safe possession of a firearm. They also must state how long he/she has known the applicant, the specific basis for their opinion and willingness to be interviewed in confidence by telephone if needed.
3) Written letter by applicant (needed only if applying for LTC Class A or B) - Letter must state why you are requesting a license to carry a concealed weapon.
** RENEWAL LICENSES NEED ONLY SUBMIT APPLICATION AND FEE **
1. Where can I find information on the different types of licenses and gun laws?
Firearms Laws can be found on the Public Safety section of the Mass.gov website. (see link above)
2. What should I do if I move?
You will need to fill out a change of address form and mail a copy to the department from which your license was issued, the department of the town you are moving to and one to the Massachusetts Firearms Record Bureau (address is provided at the top of the form).
3. What are reasons my firearms license application could be denied?
An application can be denied for any of the following reasons:
- A) if applicant is under the age of fifteen (a person fifteen to eighteen years of age may apply for a Firearms Identification Card (FID) only);
- B) if applicant is between the age of fifteen to eighteen years of age and fails to present written consent from his/her parent or legal guardian (applies to applications for FID cards only);
- C) is under the age of twenty-one (applies to Class A and B Licenses to Carry);
- D) is an alien;
- E) does not reside or have a place of business within the Town of Littleton;
- F) has been convicted of a felony, or a misdemeanor punishable by more than two years imprisonment, a violent crime, or a weapons or drug offense;
- G) has been confined to a hospital or institution for mental illness and fails to present a written affidavit from a physician stating they are not disabled by such illness in a manner that prevents him/her from possessing a firearm;
- H) is or has been under treatment for, or confinement for, drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, unless deemed cured by a physician;
- I) is subject to an outstanding warrant;
- J) is subject to a suspension, surrender order, or protection order issued pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A.
4. How will I know if my application has been denied?
You will be notified in writing as to the reason for license denial. Your application will then be marked denied, sent to the Mass State Police and the Firearms Record Bureau preventing you from applying in another jurisdiction.
** AFTER YOUR APPLICATION, FEE, AND APPROPRIATE PAPERWORK ARE SUBMITTED **
1) Once all necessary documents are received, your application will be processed and you will be notified of a time for you to come in for fingerprints and photos to be taken by the department.
2) Your complete application packet will then be sent to the State Firearms Bureau. They will review all required information and process your firearms license application accordingly. You will be notified in writing if your license is denied for any reason. If you are approved, you will be notified once your license is available to be picked up at the Littleton Police Headquarters.
** NOTE: Average waiting time for this part of the process is normally six weeks. Due to high demand, the wait time is currently 12 - 16 weeks **
If you have further questions regarding firearms licensing, please feel free to contact one of the parties listed above.
Firearms Change of Address
Massachusetts Approved Basic Firearms Safety Course List *UPDATED*
Massachusetts Firarms Records Bureau
Sgt. Matthew Pinard
C.O. Andrew Perry