TA Blog: 2010-12-06 BOS
||Below is the TA's summary of what transpired at the Board of Selectmen's meeting of December 6, 2010. Questions or comments? Contact the Town Administrator. Official meeting minutes will be posted when approved by the Board.
December 6, 2010 Board of Selectmen Meeting Summary
1. Executive Session – MGL C.30A,§21(a) - The Board of Selectmen vote to convene in executive session, pursuant to MGL C.30A,§21(a), clause 1 and clause 3 to discuss strategy with respect to litigation, since an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the litigating position of the board; and to convene in open session thereafter [Roll call vote]
2. Read Mail
3. Public Input
4A. Town Board Appointments - Littleton Common Sewer Feasibility Study Committee, Agricultural Commission - The Board of Selectmen voted to expand the membership on the Littleton Common Sewer Feasibility Study Committee from 10 to 11 members; and further voted to appoint Warren Terrell and Stephen Jahnle to indefinite terms on said committee as citizen at-large members. The Board of Selectmen voted to appoint Andrew Sammarco as an alternate member on the Agricultural Commission for a term expiring June 30, 2012.
4B. Reconstitute Solid Waste Options Steering Committee as PAYT Implementation Committee - The Board of Selectmen voted to reconstitute the Solid Waste Options Steering Committee established on September 21, 2009 as the Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) Implementation Committee, to expand the membership thereon from six to nine members by increasing the number of citizens at-large from two to five; and to invite applications therefor.
5. Voter Participation Project – Establish Study Committee - The Board of Selectmen voted to establish a study committee to develop recommendations on how to increase voter participation, with the committee’s report thereon to be submitted to the Board of Selectmen by February 1, 2012 with said committee to be comprised of one representative each from the Board of Selectmen and Finance Committee, the Town Moderator, the Town Clerk, and five voters at-large; and to invite applications therefor.
6A. Whitcomb Avenue / Bruce Street Construction Update - The Board heard an update on the Whitcomb Avenue/Bruce Street road improvement project. The Board voted to petition the Massachusetts Department of Transportation to perform a speed study to establish an appropriate speed for Bruce Street.
6B. Schedule Hearing: Amending Street Opening Regulations - The Board of Selectmen voted to schedule a public hearing for Monday, January 10, 2011 to consider amendments to its November 30, 1982 regulations on street opening permits, including a five-year moratorium on granting street opening permits to any roads reconstructed under our roadway improvement program.
6C. Schedule Hearing: Snow & Ice Removal on Private Ways – Schedule Hearing - The Board of Selectmen voted to schedule a public hearing for Monday, January 10, 2011 to consider amendments to its August 28, 2000 policy on plowing/ sanding private ways, including the following alternatives:
(1) “no change” - where the existing policy of the Town Highway Department plowing qualifying private ways is continued;
(2) "no service” - where provision of that service by the Highway Departments is discontinued, requiring those private way abutters to make arrangements for plowing/sanding not involving the Town; or
(3) “charge for service” - based on the Town of Acton’s model where the Town provides the service, but only after receiving a donation from the abutters into a special gift fund established for the purpose;
with any changes to take effect no sooner than the winter of 2011/2012.
7A. Gift Fund – Accept Donation – Police - The Board of Selectmen voted, pursuant to MGL C.44,§53A, to establish a special gift fund account the proceeds of which shall be used without further appropriation by the Police Chief with the approval of the Board of Selectmen for community policing activities; and to accept an anonymous gift of $10,000 for this purpose.
7B. Annual License Renewals - The Board of Selectmen voted to approve the annual renewal of licenses for alcoholic beverages, common victualers, automatic amusement devices, entertainment, Class I & II automotive, and lodging house for calendar year 2011 the list of said licenses to be made a part hereof.
8. Minutes Approval - The Board voted to approve the minutes of November 15, 2010.