Under what circumstances might motor vehicle excise abatement be warranted?

Abatement applications can be filed if:

  • The owner believes the assessment is incorrect, or;
  • If the vehicle was traded, or;
  • If the vehicle was stolen, or;
  • If the vehicle was sold during the year in which it is being taxes and the registration was properly cancelled/transferred, or;
  • If the owner moved from the Town of Littleton to another city or town, before January 1 and has proof they contacted Registry of Motor Vehicles to change garaging code;
  • If the owner moved to another state and registered the vehicle and cancelled the registration in Massachusetts, or;
  • If the registration is cancelled, it is most important to return the plate(s) to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and to obtain a return plate receipt. When an abatement is granted, excise bills are prorated by the month, thus the owner is responsible for the excise accrued through the month in which the car was last registered to him/her.

Show All Answers

1. Am I eligible for any exemptions?
2. Can I get motor vehicle excise abatement?
3. How does non-payment of excise affect my license and registration?
4. How do I change my address for my Excise Tax?
5. How is excise tax calculated?
6. Under what circumstances might motor vehicle excise abatement be warranted?
7. What are the penalties for late tax payments or for not paying my tax bill?
8. What are the requirements for abatements?
9. What happens if my payment is late?
10. What if I am unable to pay my tax bill?
11. What if I moved out of Littleton?
12. What if I moved out of Massachusetts?
13. What if I sold my car?
14. What if I traded my car?
15. What if my car is totaled?
16. When is payment due?
17. Where can I find forms and more information on the tax?
18. Where can I find information on the deputy collector and excise tax warrant?
19. Who collects the motor vehicle excise?