During WWI, the service flag became a popular way to recognize the men and women who served in the armed forces. The white flag with its thick red border was embellished with a blue star for each family member serving in the armed forces. Families displayed the flag by hanging it from a window of the home. When a serviceman or -woman was killed in action, the blue star was replaced with a gold star.
In 1944, the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs initiated a program called "Blue Star Memorial Highways." Nearly 8,000 flowering dogwoods were planted to memorialize the men and women of the armed forces who hailed from New Jersey. In 2006, the Littleton Country Gardeners were awarded $1500 from the National Garden Clubs to build a "Blue Star" garden that would memorialize all service men and women. The newly planted "Blue Star" garden is located along the main entrance of the Old Burying Grounds.